Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce Business Directory

Hardwick Historical Society



Hardwick, VT

The Hardwick Historical Society (HHS) is a small collecting repository dedicated to preserving the history of the Town of Hardwick (1781-) and the Village of Hardwick (1891-1989).

Located in the restored Hardwick Railroad Depot, the Society collects and exhibits materials relating to the granite and railroad industry, Hardwick's schools, the Civil War, and Hardwick's business community. In addition to museum exhibits, the HHS has a growing number of documents and images in its collections of archival material.

Further, it holds a nearly complete collection - dating back to the 1890s--of Hardwick's local newspaper.

In the 1990s, the Hardwick Historical Society became an organized 501(c)(3) non-profit. It leased from the Town the local 19th century railroad depot, and, beginning in 2001 with a $175,000 grant from the Vermont Department of Transportation combined with smaller grants totaling another $30,000, renovated it. The renovation restored much of the original character of The Depot.

In 2004, when the renovations ended, the Hardwick Historical Society started to move its collections into The Depot. At the same time, the town moved its Civil War Museum to The Depot so it could use the museum space in the Municipal Building for offices. After Margaret Spier’s death in 2006, the Hardwick Historical Society moved her collections to The Depot.




This listing appears in these categories: Attractions,Non-Profit Groups


  Leave a Rating/Review for Hardwick Historical Society



For our purposes only.

Hardwick Historical Society


43 Depot St.
Hardwick, VT 05843
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 177
Hardwick, VT 05843
Phone: 802-472-8555
E-mail: info@hardwickvthistory.org
hardwickvthistory.org




43 Depot St.


View Larger Map

Newsletter signup

Receive information, events and special deals offered in the Northeast Kingdom!