How To Get Here and Around the Northeast Kingdom
The Northeast Kingdom is located in the far northeastern corner of the Vermont and includes the counties of Caledonia, Essex and Orleans. There are two interstates that lead into the region: I-91 & I-93, making access to the region easy and accessible from all points in the Northeast and southern Canada.
Major state highways include routes 2, 5, 14, 15, 16, 58, 100, 114 and 122, not to mention many more. For more information on the state highways in the Northeast Kingdom, check out the Vermont Agency of Transportation for road maps on particular towns needed.
The Northeast Kingdom has three international airports within 2.5 hours of our border and three regional state airports.
State Regional Airports
- Caledonia County Airport, Lyndon
- John H. Boylan Regional Airport, Island Pond
- Newport Regional Airport
RCT is a non-profit transportation brokerage that uses all modes of transportation including shuttle commuter buses, wheelchair accessible vans, taxis, and volunteer drivers.
General Public Free Shuttle Routes
- Jay-Lyn/Jay-Lyn Express: Operates Monday through Friday except Holidays.
- Highlander: Operates Monday through Saturday except Holidays.
- U S 2 Commuter: Operates Monday through Friday except Holidays.
- Twin City Route: Operates Monday through Friday except Holidays.
Free Shopping Routes
- Island Pond Shopper: Operates every Thursday.
- Kingdom Shopper: Operates the 2nd Wednesday of each Month.
- Kingdom Shopper 2Operates the 4th Wednesday of each Month.
- Greenleaf (): Operates the 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each Month.
Coach Bus Lines
- Rural Community Transportation (see Twin City Route above) travels to Littleton, N.H, where travelers can pick up a Concord Trailways bus. Please note that you may have to make a special request of the RCT driver to stop at the bus stop in question. You may want to call ahead to make sure this request can be fulfilled.
- Rural Community Transportation (see U.S. 2 Commuter Route above) travels to Montpelier, Vt., where travelers can pick up a Greyhound Bus. Please note that you may have to make a special request of the RCT driver to stop at the bus stop in question. You may want to call ahead to make sure this request can be fulfilled.
There is no train service that comes or goes into the Northeast Kingdom. Please check out Amtrak and make any necessary bus services as needed. You may also may be able to make rental car reservations from that particular destination. Please check out the chamber in that particular region for such rental car services.