Northeast Kingdom Chamber of Commerce Business Directory
RuralEdge, is a 501(c)(3) affordable housing and community development corporation that is proud to serve the housing needs of the Northeast Kingdom for 30 years. From new construction and rehabilitation, to preservation of historic housing, the RuralEdge family contributes to the vitality of every Northeastern Vermont community. Our mission is to break the cycle of poverty in the communities we serve.
Real Estate Development
Committed to providing quality housing to residents of modest means in the three counties of Northeastern Vermont, RuralEdge’s definition of “quality” has been expanded to include green building practices as well as economic and environmental sustainability whenever feasible. We currently own and maintain thirty two residential and commercial properties as well as nine partnership properties with over 500 units of affordable housing.
The NeighborWorks® HomeOwnership Center
Dedicated to supporting sustainable homeownership opportunities for people of the Northeast Kingdom, The HomeOwnership Center offers the following essential services:
- Home Buyer Education and Counseling: Approximately 200 new customers a year benefit from this program. Following the Home Buyer Workshop, a counselor develops a purchase plan that is tailored to a customer’s needs and situation. Over one thousand customers have graduated from the workshop.
- Financial Empowerment: A series packed with information on budgeting, saving, debt reduction, spending plans and investments is offered for home buyers and home owners. More than one hundred people have graduated from the training series to date.
- Home Repair Loans: Available for income-eligible homeowners, affordable rehab loans focus on health and safety repairs such as electrical, plumbing, water, septic, heating systems, roof and structural repairs. RuralEdge has built strong partnerships with area human service agencies and the Vermont Center for Independent Living, to provide access modifications for disabled and elderly homeowners. Almost 400 loans and grants have been approved for over $2.3 million in home repairs for families and individuals at or below 80% of median income. Home repair loans are administered by Northeast Community Lending Corporation-NMLS #223009, a company of RuralEdge, Inc.
Since 1986, our company has provided safe and affordable quality housing throughout the Northeast Kingdom, while maintaining high state and federal standards set by U.S.D.A Rural Development, Vermont Housing Conservation Board, Vermont Housing Finance Agency, Vermont State Housing Authority and other state and federal regulators.
Today RuralEdge manages over 500 residential and commercial units in 16 towns, cities and villages in Caledonia, Essex and Orleans counties, and we continue to expand.
With both flat-rate and income based housing available, many properties have efficient boilers and lighting, are Energy Star* rated, and feature amenites like:
- Heat & Hot Water Included
- On-site Laundry
- Rubbish Removal and Grounds Maintenance Included
- Energy-Efficiency Features
- Residential Leadership Groups
- Community Gardens
- Community Building & Engagement
As a NeighborWorks® organization, we are committed to creating opportunities that allow residents to improve their lives and strengthen communities, and one of the best ways to do that is to get involved.
Whether working with the community at large, or focusing on individual Resident Councils at our properties, RuralEdge strives to make our neighborhoods positive and enjoyable places to live through education, communication, partnership and participation.
We collaborate with many local community agencies, like Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital, NEK Council on Aging, Vermont Department of Economic Services and NEKCA, working toward common goals of providing comprehensive support services for the people of the Northeast Kingdom.
Visit Rural Edge on Facebook
This listing appears in these categories: Financial Services,Non-Profit Groups,Property Management,Senior Housing & Services
48 Elm Street, P.O. Box 259
Lyndonville, VT 05851 Phone: 802-535-3555
Toll Free: 800-234-0560
View Larger Map
Receive information, events and special deals offered in the Northeast Kingdom!